Missouri Germans News
Missouri Germans News – March 10, 2015
- Gottfried Duden
- Der Anzeiger
Gottfried Duden will be a program by Dorris Keeven-Franke, at 2:30 pm on March 15, 2015 at the Missouri History Museum. She is currently finishing the biography, to be published later this year, of the German who authored A Report on a Journey to the Western States of North America, and opened the floodgates on German immigration to Missouri.
Here is a calendar of all of the events for the closing of the exhibit Utopia – Revisiting a German State in America at the Missouri History Museum in St. Louis. The exhibit will close on April 19, 2015 and travels back to Germany. Don’t miss it!
April 15,16, & 17, 2015 Wednesday – Friday: Folker Winkelmann – Utopia’s photographer will be in the gallery from 10am – 5pm to discuss his photography and give tours (auf Deutsch) of the Utopia exhibit.
April 18, 2015 Saturday – Closing Weekend for Utopia at MHM
- 10am to 5pm – Muss i denn desk in the UTOPIA GALLERY will be open. Your last chance to place an object for permanent relocation to Germany!
- 11:00am – Presentation with comments by Immigrant exhibit photographers. Schnucks Classroom
- 12:00 noon – Utopia – Revisiting a German State in America
Documentary by Maxim films showing – Lee Auditorium
- 2:30pm –Can we stay or should we go? Why they left to find Utopia A presentation by Dr. Ludwig Brake, city archivist of Giessen and academic director of the Utopia exhibit. Lee Auditorium. What made the Giessen Emigration Society leave their countries in 1834? On the traces of Paul Follenius and Friedrich Muench we follow the development in the small German state of Hesse Darmstadt. They often asked themselves, how long shall we put up with despotism and mismanagement. In the early 1830ies they finally had had enough. They decided to leave the country for a better life in a new German state in the USA to seek their utopia.
- Discovery Tour – A City of Immigrants Call 314-361-9017 9am-3pm for a tour of St. Louis landmarks by the Missouri History Museum.
- 7:00 pm Blumenhoff Vineyards and Winery Auf Wiedersehen Farewell party for the Traveling Summer Republic team. Join us for an evening of wine and song, as we share memories of the last five years. Join up with fellow descendants of the Giessen Emigration Society and hear their stories as well. Everyone is welcome.
Sunday, April 19 – Closing Weekend
- 10am to 5pm – Muss i denn desk in the UTOPIA GALLERY will be open.
- 11:30am – Author Rolf Schmidt; Selected Readings from his work The Move with Autumn Franke in the Lee Auditorium
- 1:00pm – Adam Arenson, Citizenship and Civil War: Germans in St. Louis. AT&T
- 2:30pm – Julia Muench, Piano Concert for an Epic German
Emigration Story. Lee Auditorium
- 3:45/4pm – MIRA presents Utopia Team with The Missouri Immigrant Experience Commemorative Art Poster . Lee Auditorium
- 4:15pm – The Unconditioned – fictional movie about German radical student groups in the early 1800s. Lee Auditorium