Missouri Germans is taking a poll! Which do you prefer?
- Kartoffelpuffer (Potato Pancakes)
- Kartoffelpuffer with Quark (sour cream)
- Kartoffelpuffer with Applesauce
- Warm German Potato Salad
- Mashed potatoes
Here’s my recipe for the Sauerkraut and Sausage!
- Place the sauerkraut, caraway seeds, brown sugar, and apple into a large saucepan over medium-low heat, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Place the bacon and onion into a skillet over medium heat, and cook until the bacon is almost crisp and the onion is beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir the bacon mixture into the sauerkraut. In the same skillet, brown the kielbasa sausage in the remaining bacon grease until the sausage begins to brown, 10 to 15 minutes; stir into the sauerkraut mixture. Spoon the sauerkraut and sausage mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbling, about 1 hour.
Also can be adapted and done in a crock pot all day – which is what I do. After cooking the sausage I cut it up and add it to the sauerkraut, which is what my mom (and I bet my grandma too did.) Even better the next day – if there is any left!
4 responses to “Germans prefer”